Wednesday, November 30, 2005

UGH.

i think graphic design is one of the most frustrating careers to be in because, if you are a good one, you can simply never get uninvolved and just leave it. From the day I graduated I have been advised on the merits of letting a project go, of not getting too attached to the end product and finding comfort in the fact that yes, I did my best. But what good is my best if it only extended to an idea and not the practical application of it? What good are words if they just hang in the air, not bringing with them at most a revolutionary change and at least a slight widening of the eyes?
Sometimes I wish I was a graphic designer with the sensibility of a fine artist, so I could design for myself and not have to worry about target audiences and corporate hoo haa. So I could design for the sake of design and people would appreciate it for the sake of appreciation. Just because it's graphic doesnt mean its devoid of a process or an intelligent thought behind it. You'd be suprrised if you looked at some good designer's work carefully. The amount of soul dredgery put into a regular body of an annual or CSR report is enough to bring tears into someone's eyes.
So what if design is not seen here at the grand scale of life altering ? So what if design is just "something pretty"? A good designer (and yes i use this term very very specifically) knows otherwise and amidst the curses and anger, feels proud of herself.

6 Comments:

At 4:07 AM, Blogger atrophying said...

oh dear.

i know [not fully though, but somewhat] how you feel. tomorrow will be a better day. one of my friends once gave me this piece of advice that i repeat to myself daily: its only life, let it slide.

also, why have you stopped making your illustrations? i used to love seeing them on your blog.

 
At 5:15 AM, Blogger KM said...

ctrl+n was, is and always will be my baby!
i love it!
lol...while writing this comment i was trying to judge if i was calling myself a good designer...but im not, im just saying that regardless of any judgement, at this point, i still love my work.
blah.lol.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger jammie said...

i dont know why i stopped the illustrations. mood has been more writey and photo-ey. been planning on starting again...maybe it should be a new year resolution.

khizzy, call yourself a good designer by all means and never let anyone tell you werent good enough. :)

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Sad said...

Tell me about it. I guess the reason we love these songs so much is because of the memories attached to them.

and honey... I dont just visit your blog, I read it with my morning coffee!!! :D

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Mamun said...

Yours is pretty interesting too. Yup, 'aspiring' sums it up. :)Anything you liked in particular?

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Natasha said...

i thought graphic design was so much fun, i don't know, i want to do something in it. i want to put my pictures to some good use. you should do it own your own too, balance it out :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home