Thursday, April 27, 2006

escape

Today was fabulous day in the library.
I sat therereading, oblivious to the heat and bijli-goings, utterly lost in the wonder of words. Marvellously simple thoughts and ideas put into beautifully clear words with such depth that they just blew me away. So this excerpt I must share with the world.

"Why one writes is a question I can easily answer, having so often asked it myself. I believe one writes because one has to create a world in which one can live. I could not live in any of the worlds offered to me-the world of my parents, the world of war, the world of politics. I had to create a world of my own like a climate, a country, an atmosphere where I could breathe, reign and recreate myself when destroyed by living. That I believe is reason of every work of art. We also write to heighten our awareness of life. We write to lure, enchant, and to console others. We write to serenade. We write to taste life twice, once in the moment and once in retrospection. We write to be able to transcend our life, to reach beyond it. We write to teach ourselves to speak to others, to record the journey into the labyrinth. We write to expand our world when we feel strangled or restricted or lonely. If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it."
- Anais Nin, from an essay titled "A New Woman"

6 Comments:

At 6:37 AM, Blogger insiyasyed said...

and we often write without knowing that our words and what we've written is being read over and over again and helping others put their lives into perspective! :)

signed,
stalker for a day! :)

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger N said...

sometimes you write because you want to be heard. And you want others to see the world from your perpective. This was an interesting excerpt. And like insiya said sometimes people write oblivious of the impact that they're making on someone elses life.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Kat said...

and i have looked all over for works of Anais Nin, but have not been able to find up any!

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

read 'the laugh of the medusa' by helene cixous. much the yum it was, if you're reading feminist literary theory :)

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaah!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger bluecheese said...

i love anais nin. :) thanks for the excerpt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home